HIDEMI SUGINO'S BRESILIENNE

Sunday, April 28, 2013

This is my second time making a Hidemi Sugino entremet, the first being B-Caraibe (no picture because it wasn't a very glorious picture. Shall have to make it again then and take better picture next time around). It's made of several layers, and although can be rather time-consuming, the end result was fabulous!


I love swirly birthday candles


I found the Brésilienne to be faster to make than the B-Caraibe, which is great because I was pressed for time that night as I we were getting ready to go out to eat for Mommy's birthday. A few nights prior, I was repeatedly searching entremet recipes on Google, and came across a few on cakechef, but eventually came back to the pastry chef I trust the most with balancing sweetness and nothing-but-lacklustre flavours - Hidemi Sugino.


The brown strip is made from brushing coffee on top of the mousse after it has been set


This recipe is given by dailydelicious so please go to her site to find out the ingredients and method - it is lengthy so I give my many thanks to her for even providing pictures of the steps! (:

I wanted to top the cake with more than just a strip of painted coffee, but knew that no one really liked the idea of chocolate plaques, so I made almond tuiles to top the cake.


From bottom: coffee joconde, coffee mousse, coffee joconde, creme caramel mousse, neutral glaze


This entremet is made from three main components: the coffee butterless joconde, coffee mousse, and creme caramel mousse. Both mousses use whipping cream to provide the light airy texture - a nice change from the italian meringue I typically use to aerate my mousses. It also lends a nice creamy taste to cut through the bitterness of the coffee mousse (which is much too bitter to be eaten alone). 

But when eaten together with the coffee-cognac-syrup-soaked-joconde and the creme caramel mousse, the bitterness of the coffee mousse is so beautifully balanced you wonder how on earth Sugino could have ever discovered such a perfect combination of it all. Now, may I please have your hands because I need to give Sugino *four thumbs up*




X
MUAH MUAH MUAH
VICKI CHOW



P/S


I recently got a cake order for a little girl turning four years old. She really likes pink (as do I), and I have the best idea in mind for this girl who says to me that she is a princess. Please anticipate this cake next week!

Below is a waffle, but it is made with no flour: Sunny bought a humongous container of protein powder a while ago, and it wasn't nearly half finished. So she came over one morning with pancakes made from two scoops of protein powder, an egg, some milk, and oil. It was delicious.



The waffle that should have been topped with red bean and some cream but wasn't


We took the same batter the next morning, added green tea powder, and put it in the waffle machine. A bit on the dry side, but it was perfect when dipped in coffee (I was in dire need for a biscotti substitute).



When have you tried using substitutes when cooking and it turned out successful?


Subscribe